Monday, November 4, 2013

Love Never Left (Book Review: Theresa Paolo, (Never) Again)

Sometimes you just read a book, and you get into it, and then you are finished with it and then you feel like, yeah, that was that. I wasn't expecting Theresa Paolo's (Never Again) to be a life-altering experience for me, but I wanted a little something with my time spent, too. This book almost made me feel like my time was wasted. Liz is in college and she sees her ex-boyfriend, the one that got away. Well more like the one who moved away and never called her black. Liz felt like she never had closure, and she is right, and this made Zach, her ex, much more attractive for her, of course. Oh, but she has a boyfriend, Joe. As the reader, you kind of know that Liz and Zach are probably meant for each other, but a little conflict would have been nice. Instead, we get a cardboard character out of Joe, her current boyfriend, so you are left with no struggle. There's a sub-plot about a school shooting to mix things up a bit, but the writer doesn't take a stand about the issue so I was shaking my head wondering what was the point. I mean, at least make the reader think a little bit about the issue. All these half-baked ideas really just made me shrug and want to move on to the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment