Saturday, November 30, 2013

Heaven Can Wait (Book Review: Mitch Albom, The First Phone Call From Heaven)





Am I really reading Mitch Albom's "The First Phone Call From Heaven"? I know his books are very popular, and I have sort of resisted and even snickered at them, but something - boredom? - compelled me to read this one. Well? I didn't thoroughly dislike it, but there were a couple of things that disturbed me. I thought the writing was a little too simple. I wasn't expecting literary genius, but for a heavy subject matter, a lot of things were written too matter-of-factly, without any kind of logic behind them. And, this book sure doesn't celebrate diversity - a cast of all white people in modern day America? Is Albom just playing to white middle America? But I have to admit that I stick with it, if only to find out how he would get himself out of the hole of a plot line he created. The resolution, kind of lame. I really wanted to give this a chance, it just isn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment