Saturday, June 8, 2013

Where Is The Devil? (Book Review: Revenge Wears Prada, Lauren Weisberger)

Halfway through "Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns," by Lauren Weisberger, I thought to myself, what a disappointment. I was a big fan of the prequel novel, and also the novel, and what fun, I thought to revisit the characters. I also already had Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway, and Emily Blunt ensconced in their respective roles, so I felt ready for the ride. But about a quarter in, I thought to myself: this isn't what I was expecting. Andy Sachs seems to be embroiled in a classic entitled girl storyline: she's getting married, she's not getting along with her two-dimensional mother-in-law, she is pregnant. It's an okay story - pure sap and soap - but at that point Miranda Priestley was still nowhere to be found. As a matter of fact, Miranda is barely in the novel, so the title seemed more an empty come on. I tried to go along, but more often that not, found Andy unlikeable: spoiled and whiny. By the time I am supposed to feel sorry for her, I hardly cared. The last tenth of the book is more accessible for me, but it seemed to come a little too late. This could have been a wonderful, dishy inside story of how a company is marred by a corporate takeover, especially in the publishing world, but it ended being a soap opera tale. Truly a wasted opportunity, in my opinion. 

BC-39

No comments:

Post a Comment