Thursday, October 17, 2013

Only Hope (Book Review: Hope In A Jar, Beth Harbison)

Beth Harbison's "Hope In A Jar" is one of those books I would describe as "comforting," akin to a well worn tee shirt, or yoga pants. It has relate-able characters who you instantly like, antagonists who you instantly hate, and a love story that is all sorts of fantastic. Romance, like a navy blazer, never goes out of style. It is a story of two best friends who meet again after a twenty-year reunion, mindful of the fact that they had a following out years before, without getting any kind of closure to tie up the one loose end in their friendship. It is also the story of best friends who don't realize they are in love with each other. I enjoyed both stories, and even though the story reads 'familiar,' I found myself delighted by the twists it took. There's nothing in here that anyone hasn't seen before, but Harbison makes everything sound real, and fresh that you don't mind any inconsistencies or holes. I read this very quickly, and while I probably won't retain a lot of it in years to come, it was fun while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment