Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Coming Home (Book Review: All American Boy, William J Mann)

Sometimes you just don't connect with a book. I started reading William J Mann's "All American Boy" a while back and it took me the longest time to finish it (I think I finished three books in the course of reading this) Walter Day gets a call from his mother asking him to come home, and he does, and he is forced to face a lot of things when he does, like his mother's declining mental state. Plus, he has to face his first love, whom he wronged many years ago. It's a great set up for a story, but I just did not like any of the characters, starting with Wally. He treats his own mother like shit, and that just did not sit well with me, as I come from the school of always treating your parents well. I kind of wish his reunion with his first love was a little more heartening, but I guess this is not that kind of book. The writing style here is a bit muddled. he changes from dream to reality in a sentence, so it can just a bit confusing. I totally lost interest in the characters at some point, and I just went through the motions of finishing this without caring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment