Sunday, April 19, 2015

Bears Repeating (Television Thoughts: #Repeat After Me, ABC)



Everything old is recycled again. Once upon a time there was Candid Camera, and the idea of a hidden camera foisted on unsuspecting people came about. Over the years there have been variations to this set-up, and the last one I remember was Ashton Kutcher doing "Punked" for MTV.  "#Repeat After Me"'s premise is more or less the same, with the twist here being that celebrities are the ones paying jokes on unsuspecting people, with the orders barked by the host, in this case it is Wendy McLendon-Covey. My initial reaction was, wasn't this idea initiated by Ellen DeGeneres? Then I saw the credits at the end of the show and it did say that one of the executive producers was DeGeneres. In any case, I found this show hilarious - good natured humour, and the episodes I saw (Episodes 7 & 8) never crossed the line to cruelty. If for anything, the jokes were more on the celebrities than the people they were playing a joke on. Believe it or not, I found myself squirming with laughter at some of the situations, and one that really got me was Josh Groban at the Fredericks of Hollywood store sniffing negligees. Who says nice doesn't make it anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment