Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Embraceable me (Perfume Thoughts: L'Artisan Skin On Skin)



I remember I was at Harrod's London when I sampled the first batch of L'Artisan Parfumeur's Explosions d'Emotions trio, and of the three releases - Skin on Skin, Deliria, and Amor Noctourne - I opted to purchase Deliria (which is still me favorite of the three, a sort fo a winky nod to the fruity floral)  All the releases from the series have showed up in the discount sites, and I ended up getting all of them for a song. So I am now, today, wearing Skin on Skin. When I first smelled it, I remember thinking that it was okay, but it's been done before, most notably from Dior and their classic Dior Homme.  A bed of iris, dry, powdery, sultry, sure. Skin on Skin doesn't go too far away from that formula - but with these added notes: Iris, suede, leather, saffron, whisky, lavender, rose, musks, skin effects.  Add to that this copy: “Skin on Skin awakens our animalistic instincts – to touch, to get closer, to smell…A carnal creation to be used without moderation, ” and that little blurb of the scent being a "wanton embrace."  If you were to go by their marketing, you would think thsi would be a sexy, leathery fragrance, but on my skin, on this cold-ish Spring day, it's still just iris - and it's a pretty iris. I never get the animalistic notes (skin effects?and where are the musks?)  I just get a powdery, powdery, and more powdery. I get a little bit of aldehydes, and it amps up the iris. I wish it was more interesting, but it isn't. I don't even get that explosion of notes that the Harrod's salesperson was selling - how notes come and go in a circular notion as you wear the scent. This is a well-done iris fragrance, at a ginormous price point. I never succumbed to that, but at teh discount that I got, it delivers only at this level.

No comments:

Post a Comment