Friday, April 10, 2015

Young And Foolish (Movie Thoughts: While We're Young)

I never know what to expect whenever I see a Noah Baumbach movie. I like half of them (Margot) and loathe the other half (Frances Ha) But I always feel something, and I because of that, I hold his films with high regard. So of course, I was looking forward to "While We're Young."  I even liked the idea of the plot - a couple in their 40s (Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts) befriend a young one (Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried) and discover things about themselves. The film starts out funny, and I can identify with a lot of the situations. This is one of those New York movies - perhaps only New Yorkers can really understand the film - and this one even has a Brooklyn touch. Stiller and Watts are so convincing as a couple - I have met and known this couple - and Driver and Seyfried represent the typical young hipster couple to a T. But I wanted more a movie that is more internal than the semi-morality play that we have here. There are tons of funny bits, but the last third of the move turned irritating for me. It's still worth seeing all in all - the performances alone is worth the price of a ticket - but your mileage may vary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment