Monday, October 22, 2012

Short, Sweet, Spicy (Book Review: The Way You Look Tonight, Claire Matthews, Is Is Spicy, J R Barnett)

Jerome Kern's "The Way You Look Tonight" is one of my favorite songs of all time, and that is also the title of Claire Matthew's novella. I liked it - it's a small romantic story, one that made me wistful, one that made me think. It's a fairly standard romance story, and truth be told, a bit predictable, but Matthews knows her way around characters and dialogue, so it's believable. For a short story, its pretty "full," and the cast of characters were defined. It took me just a short while to finish it, and I felt rewarded. 

I also am lumping the short story "Is It Spicy" with this entry, as it is also a short story I just read. This one is just as charming. A mother of two teenage kids goes to a Thai restaurant with her own mother, and hilarity ensues. I's one of those one-situation stories, and you can't help but relate to it.  BC-83


No comments:

Post a Comment