Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hot Mess In Los Angeles (Television Review: DTLA, Logo, Wednesdays)


Sometimes you just got to shrug. An earlier version of me would have been very upset after seeing the pilot episode of DTLA, the new series on Logo. It showed such promise - an urban series about young gay men and the people in their lives, set in Los Angeles, wherein you can walk down a street and find multiple interesting stories. But none of that showed in the first episode. What do we get? A couple who is having financial problems and then discovers they have black mold in their loft. They hold a birthday party and one of their guests puke in the bathroom. A partner suspects his boyfriend of cheating so he gets a massage and expects a happy ending. A teacher (who is a fame whore) catches his seventeen year old student dancing at a club, so he goes to manager and snitches only to have sex with same manager.  I know this is the first episode, but a little exposition would have been nice. After spending an hour with these people, you know nothing more about them, and frankly, I didn't care. I don't really know if I want to spend more time with them. The show is poorly shot in mostly darkness (sorry, but it didn't feel moody) and the acting was almost universally bad. I never saw Noah's Arc, but Daryl Stephen seems distracted here, unable to form a cohesive character. I really do hope the show gets better, since i will not give it precious space on my DVR if it continues like this.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It feels unformed, barely above an outline. None of the characters are even likeable. I loved Noah's Arc but this time around Logo has given us a far inferior view of LA.

    ReplyDelete