Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Slice Of The City (Book Review: Georgia's Kitchen, Jenny Evans)

It may seem like "Georgia's Kitchen" is a slice of Italy, but it is more a love letter to New York City.  It starts and ends there, and Jenny Nelson obviously has an affinity for the place. I love the little details she infuses when describing a street corner in the Upper East Side, or Rockefeller Center at Christmastime. In that manner, she describes the Italian food in good detail, you can tell she loves Italian food just as much. The story is kind of general and follows a pattern, and I didn't even mind that part so much. I did wish there was a little more to the story - it seemed too formulaic, and I didn't really get a lot of wow surprises from it. I felt like the character got out of situations too conveniently, so my sympathy wasn't too great. One of my favorite parts of the book is when the character visited Taormina, a charming little Sicilian town I myself have visited. It brought back memories of my visit there. I wish I could say I loved the rest of the book, but I only liked it. 

BC-82

No comments:

Post a Comment