Friday, February 13, 2015

Smell Me To Death (Perfume Review: Serge Lutens De Profundis)


I am sort of superstitious, and I was kind of scared of Serge Lutens De Profundis. Look at the copy:

 As long as I'm alive, so is my Death.
Every hero on a quest for glory is racing towards the proof of his mortality.

The scent of chrysanthemums and incense.


Scary, right? But today, on Friday the 13th, I thought it was an appropriate scent - and it would even match my Floral Friday criteria. It took me a long time to get used to wearing it, and now I finally have a bottle of this. Maybe because death has touched me recently, and well, what else have I got to lose right? Maybe I really should take my superstitions away, because this perfume is as gorgeous as it gets. The juise id a deep violet, but this is a green scent as it burst opens: a bouquet of freshly cut flowers (hyacinth and carnations) and you can the flower's petals, stems and even a bit of the dewey soil where it was pulled from. It's creamy, rich, and melancholy. I know the inspiration is culled from flowers from a funeral but I imagine it more like a gathering of flowers from an early morning walk as I contemplate love and life. The heart of the perfume is chrysanthemum, edged by teh Lutens incense, though the latter isn't prominent on me. I smell just a hint of rose, though. All the flowers stay in the dry down, muted but teh presence is definitely there - kind of like a smoother softer version of a photograph. I love this to death (haha) and this for me is an example of how perfuem can be art: it makes me think, makes me reminisce, like a painting or a piano concerto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment