Monday, February 16, 2015

Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down (Movie Review: 50 Shades Of Grey)

Well, here's a newsflash: I liked "50 Shades Of Grey," the movie (Why, by the way, isn't the number fifty spelled out?)  I have no opinion of the book, by the way, except that I couldn't get past the tenth page when I started to read it because I thought it was badly written, but hey, it got one hundred million people reading, so that couldn't possibly be the worst thing in the world, right? And yes, I wasn't even rushing to see the film, and only did so because why not, it's a Holiday today and it was a nice way to pass time. But, I left the movie house wanting more, actually curious and panting for what is to happen next. Not that I can't discern, by the way. The story is rote, and you can sense what what will happen before they do, but Sam Taylor-Johnson infuses the filmw ith style that she got my attention. I will not go into detail as to why the story is shit - even Stevie Wonder would be able to see that - and I am not even going to go as to why this movie is bad for the female psyche (if one were to take it seriously) but as pure entertainment, it works. The two stars look good, and have pretty good chemistry, and they made me believe. Well, almost. I never got to sense the "danger" of their BDSM (somethign I wasn't looking forward to) but as far as love stories go, this is pretty convincing. Did it inspire me to go to the S & M place on Christopher Street? Um, no. Just like Anastasia, I rolled my eyes whenever Christian mentioned it. (oooh, maybe he will spank me) I just wished there were more plot: the movie was about to end and I kept telling myself, if something is abotu to happen to the story, they better start soon. But this has style and good looking people, mostly naked, so for a Valentine's Day weekend movie, that satisfied me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment