Sunday, March 29, 2015

This Side Of Forty (Television Thoughts: Younger, Tuesdays on TV Land)


Darren Starr, of Sex And The City and Melrose Place fame, is back with a new show, a one-camera sitcom titled "Younger." Starring Sutton Foster, it is about a woman named Liza Miller who is 40 years old, recently divorced, suffering from an empty nest (Her daughter decided to go to Mumbai)  She decides to go back to work, but realizes that because of her age, she cannot go back to the level of job she left before he got married. So she pretends she is 26 years old, gets the publishing job as an assistant to a bitchy woman, and even starts dating a twenty something tattoo artist. I get hot and cold on Foster, but for the most part, I can take her. She still has her ticks here that annoy, and she recited dialogue liek she is on an Amy Sherman Palladino script, but I found her better here. She looks pretty, and convincing as someone younger, and I like the fact that she shows her age by maturity, not by slapstick. (It would have been an easy trap for Foster to fall into, since she is a physical actress) I have only seen the first two episodes and I am already intrigued - it feels like an old-fashioned sitcom (Perfect for TvLand) and middle agers like myself can easily relate to her character. Hillary Duff and Debi Mazar play her friends (on their corresponding age spectrums) and they don't have to do much yet, so I hope Starr uses both of them throughout the run. I will be watching.

1 comment: