Tuesday, March 12, 2013

One Gay (Book Review: Maybe This Time, Eva Clancy)

"Maybe This Time," by Eva Clancy, is sort of a low-rent gay version of David Nicholls' "One Day" and it never ets you forget it. The title, of course, is from Kander & Ebb's Cabaret (sung in the movie version by Liza Minnelli) and in the synopsis of the book is the phrase "The Man That Got Away," which of course is a song popularized by Liza's mother. The book tells the story of Will and Rob in a span of eighteen years and is broken down in three separate events: 1992, just as they are to graduate from High School, 2001 when they meet again at a mutual friend's wedding, and in 2010. They have this attraction towards each other, but never really connected. I liked the characters, and I liked their chemistry, and I wish the book had been longer, and their story fully fleshed out. I liked spending time with both characters, and Clancy is successful in giving us two distinct characters, and she makes us care for each to want them to be together. I wonder if this has a sequel. Maybe I should check. 

BC-18

No comments:

Post a Comment