Saturday, March 23, 2013

Once And Again (Book Review: Here I Go Again)

Next week I am going to a mini-reunion with friends from both grade school and high school so I thought it would be a good idea to read "Here I Go Again," by Jen Lancaster. It tells the story of Melissa "Lissy" Rider who finds out, when she goes to her twenty year high school reunion, how her selfish actions shaped the lives of people around her. With a magic syrup, she is able to go back in time to "correct" her mistakes. She then finds out to find the same people less successful because they didn't have the motivation that they had needed to make their lives successful. Okay, this is a nice enough promise, and while the story is not the most original, sure I am down. But I just cannot get past the unlikeability of the main character, a person I would not want to spend five seconds with. Reading this book slowly became a chore, and I found it difficult to finish. I just chuck it all to chemistry: I just didn't relate to the character, and did not care what would happen to her either way. Plus, there were too many characters to keep track of without proper back stories. And these characters were such cliches, paper cardboard people based on composites,not personalities. Or perhaps I just did not care? This was a major disappointment for me, for a lot of people whose opinions I respect has given this book raves. So, it's not the book, it's me. 

BC-20

No comments:

Post a Comment