Sunday, March 17, 2013

I Wonder, Wonderstone (Movie Review: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone)

Halfway through "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone," I asked myself: what the hell am I doing watching this movie?I seem to be the wrong demographic for it, and looks like everyone in the movie theater is having fun but me. A lot of the articles ow I have read about this movie reiterate that it seems like a Will Farrel movie, and that's it - I don't think I have ever seen any of Farrell's signature "sports" movies. I have been lamenting the dearth of grown-up movies of late, and I really don't know what possessed me to see this. But to be fair, it wasn't a chuckle-free experience for me. There was a segment when Steve Buscemi's character went to Africa and gave out magic kits to starving children that I thought was good dark humour, but aside from that, I was bored out of my wits. Everyone keeps on praising Jim Carrey's performance, but while I thought it did seem like. Careey is more inspired than usual, I cringed whenever he is on screen. There is a good idea here about the changing of the magic scene to more "extreme sports" akin to Criss Angel and David Blaine's stunts vs the wholesome rabbit tricks of yesterday, and I wish that was more explored. I thought Steve Carrell was an uncharismatic lead, and has zilch screen presence. And what is up with the movie title? It doesn't really roll off your tongue. To this second, I have not memorized it. What an unmagical experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment