Tuesday, July 2, 2013

At The End Of A Love Affair (Book Review: Hidden)

I guess it had to happen.  I loved all three of Catherine McKenzie's first three novels, and actually just finished "Arranged," so I was so looking forward to starting "hidden," her latest novel. It's a story told in the voices of three people: a man and two women. Jeff passes away from an accident, his wife finds out he may or may not have had an affair with a woman he works with. We go through their voices, these three characters and their complicated layers of relationships. This is a character-driven story, but I felt there wasn't enough there there. I felt disconnected with any of them half-way through, and stopped caring about what happened, and would happen to the characters. While I was interested in the "mystery" of the story - the reveal well placed in the epilogue - it was just barely enough for me to want to finish the book. Perhaps it's just me, but I felt like I have already read this story, and written more interestingly. This, of course, will not drive me away from Ms. McKenzie. I'll consider it just a little bit of a misstep. 

BC-45

No comments:

Post a Comment