Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Girl Didn't (Movie Review, Girl Most Likely)

A lot of people, I am sure, have been waiting for Kristen Wiig's follow-up to 2011's "Bridesmaids," and here it is, "Girl Most Likely." I mean she quit Saturday Night Live to concentrate on a film career, and this is what we got? What a waste of her talent. Written by Michele Morgan and directed by Robert Pulcini and Shari Springer Berman, it's a hot mess equal to a drunk bridesmaid. Wiig's character, Imogene, showed such promise but her life down spirals after she gets dumped by her Dutch boyfriend. She ends up back at home in Ocean City, New Jersey, and well, we see a journey to self-discovery. The problem is, the "zany" antic are so desperate that I never found anything funny, much less believe in it. Wiig is great, and you can see her really trying her damndest, but you cannot resuscitate  anything that is dead on arrival. Too bad because the rest of the cast tries their best as well. Annette Benning is game as her mother, and Matt Dillon is fun enough. Darren Criss is charming, and is utterly wasted her, too. I hope this is not a foreboding omen to his movie career. I found myself yawning halfway through the movie, and I never imagined myself getting bored by Kristin Wiig. I actually felt very sad, because on paper, this movie showed such promise, and I thought it was great "counter programming amidst the summer's sequels and blockbusters. What a wasted opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment