Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Wander Wonder (Book Review: The Wonder Bread Summer, Jessica Anya Blau)

"The Wonder Bread Summer," held such promise. It starts out kind of raw, with a very frank (almost) sex scene, and I thought, well this isn't your usual love story, which I thought was a departure to the cutesy book cover. I was instantly hooked, and kept on reading. Unfortunately, that was the best part of the book. It just tried to be "quirky" too many times, and I did not believe anything else that happened afterwards. You are supposed to root for the heroine, Allie, but she keeps on making one bad decision after another, and the characters and situations around her get more bizarre, in the most unrealistic way. The conflict is resolved in such an unbelievable way that it is almost a disservice to the set up. I go back to my being anal-retentive, and that is the only reason why I finished this book. I couldn't wait for it to end, and then feeling like reading it was a waste of time.

BC-47

No comments:

Post a Comment