Sunday, February 9, 2014

How In One Night Have We Come So Far? (Book Review: The Geography Of You And Me, Jennifer E Smth)

So talk about great timing, here I am on the beginning of Valentine's week and I just finished reading Jennifer E Smith's "The Geography Of You And Me," and I think it's one of the most romantic stories I have read of late. Most of the time, the cynical and jaded me overpowers the hopeless romantic, and it was nice to see a book fish that hopelessness out of my heart. Lucy and Owen meet during the New York City blackout, and then they are separated worlds away from each other. How in one night have we come so far, as a song lyric goes. But they do, literally and figuratively, and it was great to go along for the ride. (As a traveler, I love that the book gets set in various American and European cities, and some of the most romantic ones, too) Sure, at times, this is cloying and sweet, but one needs to indulge once in a while, right? It was great to see a novel that is unabashedly romantic, and for an YA book, this reads as pretty mature. I was riveted - talk about a page turner - and as I turned the last page, I found myself thinking about the characters. Somehow I knew they would be alright, though. 

I think this song is the perfect soundtrack for this song:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment