Saturday, February 15, 2014

Your Eyes, Your Eyes, Your Eyes (Movie Review: Endless Love, 2014 Version)

The first thing I did after seeing the 2014 version of "Endless Love" is watch the 1981 version, which, thankfully, is on Netflix streaming. I don't remember much about the Zeferelli version, other than the fact that it starred a beautiful Brooke Shields. Then I realized that the Zeferelli version has camp value now, with the acting so bad all over. But what is more interesting for me is that today's version is much more chaste. Is this a sign of the Instagram generation becoming more conservative?  I don't think so. I think the 1981 version was marketed more for adults, while today's is geared more towards tweens. 

But I have to admit - I liked this 2014 "Endless Love." I mean, it's not a classic piece of cinema, but for what it is, it's okay. It follows a classic 50s melodrama formula that it could have been directed by Douglas Sirk. But it's not, this one was helmed by Shana Feste and she bathes her young stars (Alex Pettyfer and Gabriella Wilde) in luminous colors that you are distracted by how beautiful these two young stars are, despite Pettyfer's unfortunate hair style. And you kind of root for them, as they give credible performances, and have combustible chemistry.  I really do think Pettyfer is a great actor, and has charm for ages. He practically saves the movie from total destruction - his David is believable even when he is asked to recite ridiculous dialogue. I wonder if today's cynical youth will accept all the cliched intricacies in this movie. But if you are game enough to suspend a lot of disbelief, you should be able to relate to all of what this movie is selling. It's cheap commercial crap, much like the chocolates and flowers on Valentine's Day, but it is a movie date choice for Valentine's Day, so it fits and serves its purpose. The one thing i want to do is read Scott Spencer's book from which both movies were based from (although I hear the modern version is far from the book) as I understand it is a modern classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment