Monday, March 26, 2012

Falling, Failing

I wanted to love Marisa de los Santos' "Falling Together" so badly.  I have heard so many great things about it, and it is partially set in Cebu, Philippines so in some ways, I am predisposed to have great affinity for it. But, as much that there were a lot of things about it i loved, there were much more in it that I didn't. First, it was so slow-going that it took a lot of effort for me to keep on reading. I wanted, and expected, a big payoff. It did come, towards the last quarter of the book, but for me it came too late. This is one of those introspective novels - and I normally love those - but the style was so ADD that as soon as I would start to relate, focus would shift to another character that I would lose momentum. I wonder if I would have liked it more if it were written in first person? Plus, when Pen & Will started looking for Cat, I missed the point because the Cat character was so unlikeable that I didn't care either way. I must say that Ms. de los Santos has a wonderful way with words. This was written so beautifully, so poetic that if you read the book aloud, it would sound lyrical. I just wish I cared about the characters more, and there was more fluidity in the story. 

BC-27

No comments:

Post a Comment