Sunday, April 7, 2013

Won't You Take Me To Funktown? (Perfume Review: D & G #6 L'Amoureux)

I was just watching this movie titled "Funkytown," and it is set in the 70s during the height of the Disco revolution. Though my salad days were a bit later, it made me reminisce about my "going out" days. I can't believe it either, but there was a time when I used to go to bars, clubs. And today I just happen to be wearing D & G #6 L'Amoureux, and felt like this fragrance would be a good scent to match those days - or even today, if I were to go disco-hopping again. L'amoureux is part of D & G's Anthology Collection, and each scent from it (I believe there were five) were based on tarot cards. The copy for L'Amoureux , taken from the D & G website:

 "An incurable romantic in possession of an inherent nobility, dashing L'Amoureux melts the most cynical of hearts." 

Oh-tay. I remember sniffing the whole collection and being underwhelmed by it - more of the same 'ol, I thought. Someone gave me L'Amoureux as a gift, and I started wearing it on "off" days, when I can't decide what to wear, or I am just in a rush and want something without much commitment. The top notes are actually interesting: there's a fizzy, alcohol-y, boozy mix and then there's juniper which gives it a sort of romantic feel. I think that's where the disco reference in my mind comes in: it smells like a mixture of different fruity cocktails, mixed with some sweet flroal perfume. I can imagine myself at the dance floor with it. 

And then the top notes go, and we are left with that ubiquitous woody/spicy combo, and now it goes to shampoo territory. It's okay, but yawn-inducing. You want to go back to those fizzy incandescent top notes. The perfume is cheap enough, I guess, that you can spray over and over again. There's a bit of musk in the dry down that gives it a bit of roughness, but don't get too excited, this perfume didn't get too lucky at the disco.

No comments:

Post a Comment