Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Show Is Over, Say Goodbye (Television Review: Smash: The Nominations, and The Tonys: Series Finale)


SMASH is done. It's gone. It aired its final episode this evening, and it ended with a bang. Megan Hilty and Katherine McPhee performed a number called "The Big Finish," and it was so meta that it was their goodbye to the loyal viewers of the show. I know there are probably not too many, like myself, who stayed with it through thick and thin, but the ending felt good. All the loose ends were tied up, and it was a great farewell. You got a sense that they knew it was the last episode, and it was bittersweet, yes, but mostly a celebration. But first, let me just say that I was so happy that Ivy Lynn won over Karen Cartwright. I know I have been bashing Karen this season, but I really do like Kat McPhee. I have her two pop albums even before this show started, and I listened to them. I thought she was one of the better Idol alumns in its history. She just wasn't a fit for Karen Cartwright. I will follow and support wherever she ends up after this. This show made a star of Megan Hilty. I am now a fan of hers, and I know she has a lot in store for her.  Actually, the whole core cast was great:  Anjelica Houston, Christian Boerle, Jack Davenport.  Yes, I had issues with the characters of Jeremy Jordan and Krysta Rodriguez, but only because the characters themselves weren't served well by the writers. I read that the forthcoming DVD will have all the extras: scenes cut, fell scenes of musical numbers, so in a way, this isn't a last goodbye. I'll see you again, SMASH.

No comments:

Post a Comment