Sunday, May 19, 2013

Back To The Nineties (Book Review: Someday, Someday, Maybe)

I always confuse, in my mind, Lauren Graham from Mary Louise Parker. I guess they are the same physical type, and again, in my mind, their acting is the same. I know there are" Gilmore Girl"  groupies out there, but I never saw an episode of it. I have seen the first couple of seasons of "Parenthood" and liked the show. But now I don't remember which season I stopped even though I want to continue watching it on Netflix. I also kind of remember her on the last "Guys & Dolls" revival on Broadway, but ... not really. That's all the back story I have on her before I started reading this book, and I only got really got curious with it after I saw her guesting on Andy Cohen's show. I found out that Connie Britton was her old time roommate. So of course when I started reading the book, Franny Banks was Lauren, and her friend Jane was Connie. I also liked that the book was set in he mid 90s, and the setting feels like a curio piece. It's a piece of time I vividly remember, and kind of cherish actually. Think before cell phones became common place in our lives. I haven't thought about an answering machine in a long time, and that figures prominently in this story it's practically a plot point.

I have mixed feelings about the book. I liked it enough, for sure. I got invested into the Franny Banks character immediately, and kept on rooting for her. But, nothing much happens, though, and I thought this was going to be one of those "slice of life" books. But then when we do get a "payoff" at the end, then I think maybe not. But the book really got me thinking, which in the end, isn't bad. 

BC-33

No comments:

Post a Comment