Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Owl Be Darned (Book Review: Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls)

I'll give you a shocker: I am not a big fan of David Sedaris' written work.  Don't get me wrong - I think he is a good writer, great even, and he certainly strikes a chord with a lot of people, but i just don't connect with his work emotionally. I wish I did, and I know tons of people who do, but I just...don't. I wish I had an explanation for it so I can explain myself, as if I needed to. I found myself starting "Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls," and got into it quickly, and yes I found his essays kind of funny, but I wasn't laughing out loud. I liked this a little better because he talks a lot about his travels all over the world, and I found the anecdotes interesting: contrasting food between Japan and China was insightful, but I found it a little mean-spirited towards the Chinese. His exploits in the Australian wilderness was fun to read, but felt exaggerated. I liked his wry observation at airport behaviours, but I have heard them before, and as funny. This was an ok read for me, it kept me interested, but had to admit felt a little critical to enjoy it fully. And I am still trying to figure out the relevance of the title.

BC-32

No comments:

Post a Comment